A smartphone is one of the most popular electronic gadgets of this decade, and it is known to simplify our lives in every single way possible. It has become one of the essential components of our daily lives, and the popularity of this product has outgrown the expectations set by its manufacturers. The development of smartphones is so drastic that we are forced to discuss the adverse effects and impacts of it.
Smartphone manufacturers have been criticized heavily by psychologists and other mental health experts because of the addiction and adverse effects that it has on teens and adults worldwide, leading to several mental health complications, and in worst-case scenarios, even in the cause of suicides. Let us have a detailed look at all the different smartphone usage and addiction statistics.
Note: Feel free to use every stats or graphics mentioned here for personal or commercial purpose. Just make sure to use our attribution link to credit LaptopDiscovery
TABLE OF CONTENTS
► All the research analysis and reports suggest that almost half of the world’s population will use smartphones by 2020.
► More than 70% of people sleep with their smartphones in close proximity.
► Smartphones and toilets have always been a pairing in the US.
► As of 2018, the smartphone penetration rate worldwide is 39.5% and is expected to rise.
► 65% of smartphone users check their phones within 5 minutes of waking up.
► In-app usage has been the main driving force of smartphone usage.
► 60% of teens know for sure that they are smartphone addicts.
► 73% of teens feel that smartphone social media actions are the reason behind violence.
► Smartphone has outpaced other forms of media by a considerable margin in this decade.
► There is a 7% hike on 45+ age group smartphone adoption compared to Millennials.
► 66% of the US population suffers from NOMOPHOBIA.
► 62% of women and 48% of men check their phones even during sex.
► Around 26% of car accidents are due to smartphone usage and addiction.
General Smartphone Usage and Addiction Statistics
1. What is the root cause of smartphone addiction?
According to the smartphone addiction research conducted by Baylor University, it was found that smartphone addiction can be linked to two primary factors - impulsive behavior and material object captivation.
(Source: Baylor University Addiction Research Survey)
2. What about the general smartphone usage stats? The number is close to 90%.
According to the Deloitte Mobile Consumer Survey, some of the general smartphone usage stats are as follows - smartphone users in the US on an average seem to check their phone at least 63 times per day as on 2019, and 86% of them say they tend to use their phones mostly when discussing with friends and family.
(Source: Deloitte Global Mobile Consumer Survey)
It is estimated that half of the world’s smartphone users are based in the Asia-Pacific region, which is quite obvious considering the population index. As far as 2018 stats are concerned, smartphone penetration worldwide is found to be 39.5%.
3. How much do you use smartphones before and after sleep? A staggering over 85%.
An astounding figure of 87% of smartphone users in the US says that they check their smartphones within an hour of waking up or going to bed. Of this 87%, 35% were found to access their phones within 5 minutes of going to bed and 69% within 5 minutes of waking up.
4. What makes users take their smartphones the most?
The following stats give us a clear indicator that mobile apps are growing to become the number one factor making smartphone users take their device the most.
5. Who is more dependent on smartphones?
According to the research conducted on the US population who don’t have a broadband connection at home but still use a smartphone, it was found that young adults, low-income citizens, and non-whites contribute to the bulk of it.
(Source: Pew Research Center)
6. How many Americans sleep with their phones? As expected, a huge number, over 70%.
Bank of America surveyed a group of 1000 account holders in their bank, and the stats are out to answer this query. Amongst this group, 71% agreed to the fact that they sleep with their smartphones next to them. Amongst this lot of people, 55% said they leave their smartphones on the nightstand, 13% kept it on the bed or under the pillow, and 3% said they sleep holding their smartphone.
(Source: Huffington Post)
7. How many of you use smartphones in your toilet? About half of the smartphone users are tempted.
As per a study conducted in 2016, on a set of smartphone users, 40% agreed that they were using their smartphones in the toilet, both at home and public restrooms.
8. Have you dropped your phone in the toilet? Less than 20%.
Around 19% of the smartphone users in the US have dropped their smartphones at least once in the restrooms. Most of them had to buy a brand new smartphone because of that.
9. What about the temper between adults and teens with respect to their smartphone usage? Close to 80%, of course!
With growing smartphone usage, arguments are bound to happen. So a survey conducted on a set of parents and teens who own smartphones got a stat that 77% of arguments occurred between the parents and teens specifically on smartphone usage.
10. What is the impact of the parent-teen relationship with respect to smartphone usage and addiction?
In a survey conducted on UK parents and teens, 86% of parents felt that smartphone usage had not had a positive or negative impact on their relationship. On the other hand, 97% of teens feel the same.
(Source: Commonsense Media)
11. What is the response time shown by adults and teens to a text or any notification they receive on their smartphone? Of course, teens tend to be quicker.
The answer to immediately or often was given by 57% of adults and 65% of teens.
(Source: Commonsense Media)
12. What do you know about the smartphone penetration rate across the globe?
Amongst all the leading smartphone penetration countries, UK ranks 1st at 82.2%, followed closely by the Netherlands with 79.3%, Sweden and Germany with 78.8%, and the USA with 77%. As per growing trends, the smartphone penetration rate of China and India is going to grow exponentially in the coming years.
Teen Smartphone Usage and Addiction Statistics
13. How many of you think that you have a smartphone addiction? 60% do know.
According to the research conducted on US college students of all race, religion, gender, and color, it was found that 60% of them know or are sure that they are addicted to their smartphones.
(Source: Journal of Behavioral Addictions)
14. Parents’ concerning stats on their teen smartphone addiction? Close to 50% are aware.
Of a group of US parents who were asked this question, 47% felt that their teen has smartphone addiction. 50% of the parents considered addiction seriously and went on to show concerns about the mental illness and adverse effects that smartphone addiction has on their teen.
15. What about the stress levels experienced as a teen due to smartphone usage? Almost 90% of teens get affected.
A sizable group of teens were put on a survey to estimate the stress levels they face due to smartphone usage. Around 41% of teens mention that they feel overwhelmed by the sheer amount of notifications they get every single day. Online bullying incidents were witnessed by about 36% of them each week. About 89% feel such incidents upset them a lot. Around 31% of them have seen online bullying end up in physical violence.
(Source: Screen Education)
16. What do teens feel about rising violence in their schools? More than 70% agree that smartphone usage is a driver.
Around 73% of teens countrywide feel that social media activities performed on smartphones are the leading cause of shootings and violence occurring in several schools recently.
(Source: Screen Education)
17. What do teens feel about online gossip and drama incidents? Around 60% get disturbed witnessing the same.
Smartphones are the leading cause of all these online drama and gossips frequently happening these days. The mental status of teens gets affected a lot because of this. 45% of them witness online drama, and 38% witness online gossips every single day. Because of these gossips, 57% of teens feel disturbed, and around 42% say they fear of being gossiped.
(Source: Screen Education)
Adult Smartphone Usage and Addiction Statistics
18. What is the adult smartphone usage stats is the past decade?
According to the adult smartphone usage statistics as of 2016, it is found that around 3/4 of the US adult population will use their smartphones.
19. How much time do adults spend on their smartphones compared to other media platforms?
For this analysis, the different media platforms taken into study along with smartphones were TV, desktop/laptop, print media, and radio. From a period of 2013 to 2018, a steady rise in smartphone usage is seen, whereas all the other media platforms have seen a steady decline.
20. How do older adults cope up with this growing smartphone trend? People over 45 years of age are now showing more interest.
As per the recent survey conducted amongst smartphone adopters across all the age groups, it is found that adults who belong to the 45+ age group tend to adopt smartphones more in the past few years than millennials. A 7% rise is seen in smartphone adoption amongst users who are aged 45+, showing signs that older people are also starting to get addicted.
21. What about adult smartphone user behavior at restrooms?
This is one of the funny and severe stat results which came out of a survey conducted in 2016 amongst a 2000 group of US adult smartphone users. 12% of this lot accepts the fact that they use smartphones even in the shower.
Excessive Smartphone Usage Statistics
22. How many hours per day do you think smartphone users globally spend on their smartphones? Close to 5 hours.
Global smartphone usage statistics across different countries give us a clear indication of how things have changed over a short period worldwide.
From this, it is quite obvious that a person globally was found to spend 5 hours or more per day on their smartphone in 2016 compared to 2012. If the above figure does not throw you, check out the next stat, which should undoubtedly open up your eyeballs.
Smartphone excessive usage stats with respect to the US alone is another astounding statistic, which we feel should be considered seriously by teens and adults.
23. What might you feel if you leave your smartphone at home?
In a case study conducted on 2000 smartphone users, it was found that almost half of them felt uneasy and worried about leaving their smartphones at home.
Smartphone Interruptions Statistics
24. What is the impact of the smartphone on a teen’s school life?
This particular question was asked to a group of US teachers, and the results show that 67% of teens face adverse distractions because of smartphones, and almost 90% of these students end up facing emotional challenges.
25. What impact do smartphones have on your work and personal lives?
Most Americans have separate phones for personal and office use, but in recent surveys, it is found that this differentiator is growing blur as time passes by. As per the latest survey conducted by Deloitte, it was found that more than 70% of adults used work phones for purposes other than work. Likewise, personal use phones were found to be used during office hours by almost 84% of smartphone users. This shows the interruptions and distractions smartphones are starting to develop.
26. What is NOMOPHOBIA, that over 60% of the US population is suffering from?
It is nothing but the fear of not having your mobile phone with you. This particular stat is on the rise, and more and more people are starting to get this phobia. In 2019, 66% of the US population was known to be suffering from NOMOPHOBIA.
27. Age-specific nomophobia stats: 77%, 68%, 58% - the numbers are really concerning.
In the age group of 18 to 24, 77% have nomophobia, whereas about 68% of people between ages 25 and 34 have it.
28. NOMOPHOBIA doesn’t leave even during sex, with over 60% being women.
This stat is another interesting one as both men and women admit to checking their smartphones even during sex. The stats collected on a group of people report that 62% of women and 48% of men check their smartphones even during sex. This shows us the advent of smartphone addiction that is affecting people of this generation, including all of us.
Health Impacts of Smartphone Usage
29. What are the mental effects of smartphone usage?
Excessive smartphone users across the board tend to showcase signs of impairment in job performance, self-esteem, and end up experiencing interpersonal ideology clashes, which is brutal.
(Source: Online Social Network Site Addiction)
30. Teens health risk stat: more than 70% affected.
According to a health survey conducted on suicide risks, it was found that 71% of teens who use smartphones for more than 5 hours a day tend to show suicide risks over the ones who use it for just an hour. Similarly, teens who spend more than 5 hours per day on a smartphone are likely to get less than 7 hours of sleep. Teens who are extensive users of social media on smartphones are also prone to a 27% risk of depression.
31. Car accidents due to smartphone usage: 26%, the number is enormous, considering the country’s population.
In a group of 2000 smartphone users, about 75% accept that they have texted at least one time when they are driving. 56% of the adult parents say that they check their smartphones even while driving the car. All these stats lead us to the most crucial question of all, i.e., how many accidents occur in the US because of car driving? the answer is 26%, which is huge, and if we don’t try to limit this number, we will end up losing a lot of our loved ones.
Steps Taken to Limit Smartphone Usage
32. How can you limit smartphone usage?
According to the Statista research done on the different techniques that people use to try and limit their smartphone usage
- 38% of them report that they place their smartphone on their handbag or pocket when they are going to meet someone
- 32% say they turn off audio notifications
- 27% say they keep their phone in their pocket or handbag even when they are alone and
- 26% say they delete apps and switch off their smartphones at night.
(Source: Deloitte Global Mobile Consumer Survey)
33. How many of you successfully limited your smartphone usage?
In the survey conducted between 2016 and 2019, it is found that 58% of smartphone users tried limiting their usage, and about 41% of them were able to achieve the feat successfully.
34. Who is responsible for trying to limit teen smartphone usage? 89% of parents feel responsible.
A survey conducted on US parents whose children actively use smartphones has the following result: 89% of the parents view that they or caregivers of the child are responsible for trying to limit their smartphone usage. 5% say children themselves are responsible, 2% feel smartphone manufacturers do contribute, 1% feel app manufacturers are responsible, and 3% had no answer for this query.
35. How do you cope with smartphone distractions at the workplace? Over 40% of office goers know what to do.
Amongst smartphone users who go for a workday in and day out, 43% have agreed that they switch off their smartphones to eliminate the distractions they might face using it.
A smartphone is a must-have gadget in this current generation, as it acts as a lifesaver in many ways. As a human, it is our responsibility to keep things under control at all times, which when failed will lead us to face the adverse effects and consequences like we have seen in some of the usage and addiction statistics we have discussed so far. Smartphone usage and addiction statistics are evident in stating in one obvious fact, which is this is becoming a growing problem or a cause of concern for younger people more than ever. Now is the time to act fast before it gets out of control.
- Baylor University Addiction Research Survey
- Journal of Behavioral Addictions
- Deloitte Global Mobile Consumer Survey
- Pew Research Center
- Commonsense Media
- Screen Education
- Online Social Network Site Addiction